The heritage buildings of Mysore are significantly characterized by 4 distinct architectural styles, built by the British administrators and the Mysore Rulers. They are Indo-Saracenic, Traditional Hindu, Greaco-Roman and Gothic best exemplified by – The Mysore Palace, Lalitha Mahal Palace, Jagan Mohan Palace, Wellington House, St. Philomena’s Church and Krishnarajendra Hospital.
Wellington House (1709)
Built in 1709 to house important personages, this is a plain double storey earliest terraced structure in Mysore, huge in size, with rectangular openings, almost totally devoid of any embellishment. Colonel Arthur Wellesley (afterwards Duke of Wellington) lived in this building for 2 years from 1799-1801.
Rangacharlu Memorial Hall or Town Hall
Built to commemorate the services of a great Dewan, the foundation stone of this Graeco-Roman edifice was laid by Maharaja Chamarajendra Wodeyar in April, 1884.The elevation is dominated by a projecting frontage of Corinthian grand-columns, in four pairs, topped off with a heavy entablature of multiple mouldings and a pediment containing an intricately carved motif. Roman arched windows with pilasters, louvered window shutters and sun-rise glazing, adorn the façade of a double-height hall with balconies on either side. Cast-iron parapets vary the lines on the sides.
It is one of the biggest and oldest lakes in Mysore. It is home to a wide variety of water birds. About 250 species of birds visit the lake during the season. The common visitors are the spot billed Pelican, Indian darter, Pin-tailed duck, Shoveller, Whistling teal and the painted Stork. Some endangered species have also been spotted.
It is located on 165 acres of land having 45 sq. kms catchment area. It was an environmental and cultural contribution of Mysore Royal family in 1828. The lake has been a source of sustenance for the past 175 years to Mysoreans in the area of agriculture, fisheries and other household activities. A sidewalk provides a good opportunity for the visitor to soak in the beauty of the lake.
Karanji Mansion – Postal Training Department
Completed in 1914 for the second Maharajakumari at a cost of Rs. 4.29 lakhs, this building with its cusped arches, sunshades, stone hew balconies each resting on lotus base, carved stone columns and parapet is a fine mix of Hindu-Saracenic architecture.
At present it houses the Postal Training Department and a small museum depicting the Postal history of the country.
Jayachamaraja Wodeyar Golf Club
Maharaja Nalvadi Krishnaraja Wodeyar had the golf course laid out within the precincts of the Mysore Race Course in 1906. Overlooking the magnificient Chamundi Hill, the present 6,000 yard, 18 hole par 70 course was redesigned in 1996 by Pacific Coast Design, Australia.
The Jayachamaraja Wodeyar Golf Club manages the course and also has a well laid out clubhouse with restaurant, bar, pro shop, residential chambers and other amenities, near the first tee.
Timings & Contact
6.30 AM to 6.00 PM all the days. Entrance: Members Phone : Club House : 0821-2538457, 2433185 Starter : 0821-2445103, 2448108 Dress Code : Restrictions Address : Maharana Pratap Singhji Road, Nazarbad, Mysore 570 010.
Jockey’s Quarters and ATI Buildings
These form a homogenous group. Kanteerava Narsimhraja sports club, the buildings comprising the Administrative training Institute (built in 1910 -12 as Guesthouses attached to the club), the Mysore race clubs offices, the grand stand and the state reserve police head quarter complex (built around 1918 – 20 to house the offices and stables of Maharaja’s bodyguard) make the group.
Mysore Race Club
One of only nine race courses in the country, it is but surely the most charming. Period buildings and fabulous vistas enhance the racing experience. The Mysore Race Club conducts over 50 days of racing during the year with August, September and October constituting the main season. Live TV feed from other centers, provides opportunities for punters all through the year.
Entrance Fee and Contact
Entrance Fee : Rs. 10 Opt for the Members Address : Race Course Road, Nazarbad, Mysore 570 010 Phone : 0821-2521675, 2565565
Chamundi Guest House
Well set back from the road unlike the east building on Dewan road, this 1920 two story building has continuous veranda, stretching on either side parallel to the road sturdy looking square columns that support the ground floor.
The two double storey buildings have a strong resemblance. Both were built in 1920 -21. The foundation stone of the public offices was laid by Maharaja Krishnaraja wodeyar on 24th January 1921. The latter structure was built as was laid by “Modern Hindu Hotels”. The porch of the Modern Hindu Hotel (now maintained by KSTDC as Hotel Mayura Hoysala) was added in 1982 – 83 in thoughtful architectural integration. It has not only served a need but added to the elevation.
Phone : 0821-242365
Nanjaraja Bahadur Chatra
One can do better than reproduce the comments contained in the July 1890 issue of Indian Engineering signed by one BCE of Bangalore. “This is a large serai called after on urdu (Sic) gentleman who contributed Rs. 50,000 designed by young native assistant engineer of the local PWD & constructed by another EE of the district.
It is the structure with a spacious veranda with bricks used throughout. The design is in the Roman style of architecture with Tuscan pillars, detailed and well thought out. Particular attention has been given to various conveniences necessary for travellers.
The Cross-shaped double storeyed building (completed in 1885) is linked with slanting wings on either side through single – storey links. Arcaded verandas with Tuscan & Corinthian pilasters and molded motets run all around. The central block is stopped with a cut off pyramid, repeated in two wings, on which sits a wrought Iron tiara-kike crown. Pediments with Corinthian pilasters end the wings. It is standing on an elevated spot. The building has an approximate frontage of some 300 feet.
Architect: Building followed the model of the Chicago Exhibition Buildings according to Hayavadana Rao.
Corinthian grand-columns, a heavy multiple-moulded entablature and a wide-spanned plaster-relief picture of Goddess Saraswathi distinguish the central block of this 1947-vintage building. Flanking wings at two levels have contrasting details of balustrade and piered parapets, Roman arches and Tuscan double-columns. The edifice commands an appropriately vast foreground. The administrative offices of the University of Mysore are housed in the Crawford Hall. This imposing structure was built in the year 1947 at a cost of Rs.12 lakhs. Mr. Koenig Berger, Chief Architect, Government of Mysore designed this building. The tall columns in the front give the building a majestic appearance. The building was originally planned as the Representative Assembly for Mysore.
Lt. Col. W.L. Crawford and his brother C.S. Crawford of England who studied at Mysore gave a donation of Rs.1 lakh to the University of Mysore for the construction of an Intermediate College for Women. Since, they had not imposed any conditions, the funds were used to build a hall to be used for convocation and house the administrative offices. This donation was their way of saying thanks to the “kindly land”.
The building has a total floor area of nearly 10,000 square meters. The structure is in the form of an l, with the central hall, christened Crawford Hall as desired by the donors, which is mainly used for convocations and other important functions. The hall is spacious enough to seat nearly 1000 persons and has an octagonal shape. The balcony can also seat about 600 persons comfortably.
Phone : 0821-2419361